Landscape park on older site, property of Smyth family 1545-1960. Field evidence of C16-17 formal gardens;deer park in continued use; many ancient trees. Ha-ha boundary to formal garden probably mid C18. Present, well-wooded landscape dates from Sir Hugh Smyth’s reworking of estate c1802, with advice from Repton. Later C19 exotics and avenues, rockery and formal gardens. Miniature steam railway, pitch-and-putt golf course, cafe, all date from 1960, when ownership passed to Bristol City Council.