Communal garden created in the early C18 as a social walking area, with linear tree-planting and gravel surface; road macadamized 1820 and trees removed 1830; now a floral roundabout, known as the Alkmaar Garden.
C20 woodland and plantsman’s garden, started 1930s when farmyard and meadows were reworked as garden; continuing development post-1977. Collection of exotic trees and shrubs, planted on sloping site; bulbs, heather and bog garden.
Park and garden C14 in origin, C16-17, and later alterations. Home of the Strachey family 1858-1987. Site dominated by lime and chestnut avenues thought to be late C18; other features include Victorian gazebos; ornamental woodland along stream; remains of pleasure grounds; walled garden; medieval fish ponds; ornamental curtain wall.