C18 terraced gardens of c7a. with C18-19 planting; C19 ornamental woodlands c270a. Terraces feature bowling green, octagon summerhouse 1720, early C19 Gothic loggia. Lawn with flowering shrubs and borders;ancient mulberry. Woods contain extensive ornamental walks, including stone passageway and picturesque quarry garden. House (LB I) C14 with later additions; terraced garden (LB II). Garden owned by National Trust; woodland by Lady Elton, currently on 30-year lease to Avon Wildlife Trust.
EH – TICKENHAM ROAD 1. 5121 (North Side) Clevedon Court ST 47 SW 3/1 5.4.52. GV 2. Built by Sir John de Clevedon who died in 1336. Clevedon Court has been described as one of the most valuable relics of early domestic architecture in England. Alterations and additions include a new west wing by John Wake about 1570. Further alterations after 1717. The west front rebuilt 176l-88 and again 1862. Rebuilding after a fire in 1882 was achieved by the architect, C E Davis. The centre of the present south front belongs to the original house. 2 storey buttressed porch with plain parapet to right. Pointed moulded archway with portcullis. 2 storey projecting chapel range with original ogee reticulated tracery to left. The medieval hall with part of the original screens passage arrangement (entrances to kitchen, buttery etc) survives behind the 2 projecting blocks. The great hall window between these blocks is now in Tudor style but evidence of an earlier pointed arch with tracery exists above. The rest of the south front has gabled ranges in Elizabethan style with stone mullioned and transomed windows. Top storey windows in gables have pediments containing carved heads, finials above. Gable end on far right (ie to east) of front is in plain vernacular style with large chimney breast and paired diagonal stacks. Finials to sided of gable. To rear of east range is attached a further tall gabled wing. Various gabled ranges including kitchens and a 2-storey porch attached to rear elevation. Excellent interior of the main building periods.
Clevedon Court and all listed ancillary buildings at Clevedon Court (including the boundary walls) form a group.
Listing NGR: ST4225571572 – Grade l