Public communal garden 1700: avenues of trees 1716
replaced by double perimeter belt of London planes
1881-82; two sides of square burnt down in Bristol
Riots 1831, subsequently replaced; square diagonally
bisected by road 1939-40, with terraces and steps
leading down to square.
Equestrian Statue of William Ill 1737 by John
Rysbrach for Bristol Corporation and Society of
Merchant Venturers, removed to Badminton 1947,
restored 1947, reinstalled 1948.
City & Queen Square Conservation Area.