Cotham Gardens, Grove Park, Redland Green
Cotham & Redland Conservation Area.
Remnants of C18 landscape park substantially built
over from mid to late C19, 1732-35 for John Cossins,
on site of C17 Court with walled and terraced formal
gardens; knot garden in box; lime avenue (Lovers’
Walk) to House originally c1732 and replanted late
C19, runs through Cotham Gardens, an informal park
now part play area 1879 by Bristol Corporation, and
Grove Park 1884 presented to Corporation by W.H.G.
Edwards; connected by ornamental footbridge over
railway. Redland Green formerly Chapel Green
informal park with network of paths, some planted with
planes 1920s by Bristol Corporation, centred on
ornamental C18 chapel; bowling green; play area;
Redland Court was Redland High School, now redeveloped for residential use.
- Associated Buildings
Redland Court (LB II*) 1732-35 by John Strahan for
John Cossins; gateway (LB II*) 1732-35 probably by
Nathaniel Arthur; railway footbridge (LB II) 1884;
Redland Chapel (LB II*) and gateway c1740s possibly
by William Halfpenny or N. Arthur for J. Cossins, now
Redland Parish Church.