Remains of mid C18 landscape park for William Reeve, mostly built over by housing and industrial estate: part remains as municipal park with some mature trees, boundary walls and remains of possible prospect mound and walks; wide range of early Gothic-revival garden buildings of c1750; colonnade of otherwise lost Batty Langley style bath house re-erected at Portmeirion by Clough Williams-Ellis; ogee-arched tunnel beneath Bath Road linking Court with Stables filled in 1911.
Arno’s Court is now a hotel. The Black Castle is now a pub.
- Associated Buildings
House (LB II*) c1750, Italianate extensions 1850-51 by Foster and Sons, ruinous chapel adjoining; Arno’s Court Gateway (LB II*) formerly entrance to Arno’s Court relocated in 1912 for road widening; Stables (LB II*) known as Arno’s Castle, the Black Castle or the Devil’s Cathedral (Walpole); all possibly James Bridges or William Reeve for W. Reeve.